This well-supported infantry company represents a force typical of the footsloggers who made up the bulk of the early war German army. Transport is either on foot or by horse-drawn wagon or limber.
In 1939, each platoon would have consisted of ten-man section, but this was found to be unwieldy and reduced for the 1940 campaigns. The main change between the companies of 1940 and 1941 is the composition of the Company HQ. In 1940, each Company HQ would have had its own contingent of MMGs, but these were removed and gathered into separate MMG platoons for the invasion of the Soviet Union.