I decided to play through the Skirmish Campaign scenario book 41 Drive on Minsk using the IABSM 3 rule set. An article by Tom Ballou on converting the OOB can be found on the Toofatlardies Yahoo Group.
The Skirmish Campaign books are easily converted to most platoon or company level rules. Each scenario can be played out on its own or as a linked campaign. A base force is given to each side and variable attachments are diced for, giving a different game each time you play out a scenario.
The first scenario in Drive on Minsk is Armour Clash which sees elements of the 3rd Panzer Division bumping into advancing elements of the Soviet 22nd Tank Division.
German Orders: Exit at least four AFVs off the eastern board edge.
Soviet Orders: Exit at least two AFVs off the western board edge.
Game length: 10 Turns.
- Five Big Men
- Motorcycle Platoon: Three squads of eight men each.
- Recon Squad: Eight men in an Sdkfz 251.
- Panzer Zug 1: Four Panzer II
- Panzer Zug 2: Two Panzer III
- Armoured Car Platoon: Two Sdkfz 231
- One Big Man
- Infantry Platoon: Three squads of ten men each.
- Two Tank Platoons: each three T26
- Armoured Car Platoon: Two BA10
- Anti-Tank Gun: 45mm ATG
A German victory, but a costly one. Only one T26 was knocked out, but their low morale and only one big man eventually took it's toll on them. The battle could have turned out very different if the Russian armoured cars card had come up a few times.