View from the German end of the table

The scenario was taken from the Sea Lion examples, and represented the first serious counter attack against the German invasion forces. A British force from 42nd Division was to hit the extended German front at Boreham Street near Heathfield, attempting to break through and thus divide the German invaders stretched along the coast.

On the British side, Major Standish Chappleton (Mark) had overall control, and his armour consisted of  a total of 9 AFVs – a mix of A13's, A10's, A10CS and some Vickers Vib's. Capt Corky Caldwell (John) commanded the infantry with 3 full platoons of regulars, although only two had reached the start line at  H hour.  Hauptman Harald Kamp (Robert) was in charge of the German defenders, with two full platoons plus HQ and a third platoon on it's way allegedly. The German infantry were supported by 4 MG's,  two PaK35's with a couple of 75mm IG's drafted in to help.  Both sides expected air support and off table mortar support was promised the Germans. The gallant infantry of the 39th Regt were also expecting a small Panzer detachment to help out at some point.

The British decided to attack on a broad front instead of concentrating, whilst the Germans elected for a very forward defence line, placing their infantry under cover of hedges well outside the village. Their HQ Command plus MG's were placed in buildings on the edge of the village, giving their FOO a good view of the terrain and a superb field of fire for the MG's.  The four ATG's were placed carefully to cover both flanks as well as any possible thrust straight down the road.

In the event, whilst the British light tanks gallantly did their job and probed forward to the NE of the village – taking heavy casualties as they advanced – only 1 Vickers actually penetrated the defence line, knocking out a gun as it did so. The two A10's stood off and sprayed their MG fire wherever possible, whilst a thrust down the road by the A13's was quickly defeated by accurate ATG fire.

1st Platoon suffer. 2nd Platoon are the neighbouring Blind.

Meanwhile the infantry advance NW of the village was turning into a disaster. They advanced in close order for some reason, with both platoons alongside each other and the sections closed up. This offered a superb target for the German MG's, plus a later mortar barrage and even a Stuka attack; quite naturally the result was carnage. Not a single section was left combat worthy as the survivors flattened themselves into a cornfield as best they could.  The two supporting A10 CS's managed a couple of rounds of HE with encouraging results, but gradually came under rapid and accurate ATG fire which knocked pieces of A10 all over the countryside. The surviving tank was not put off by this however and gallantly pressed on.

However the gallant German defenders were also slowly taking casualties, with two guns knocked out as well as infantry casualties, and the Germans slowly gave ground in a controlled withdrawal under fire back towards the village.

The German defensive line

One recce tank bursts through, but note the  german atr teams, bottom left

Finally, when the third British infantry arrived and made their advance, sadly they were also bunched together and were also hit by damaging German fire.  The British support mortars were hit and damaged, the promised air support had now materialised and the British CIC wisely decided that the chances of winkling the Germans out of a heavily defended village were slim to zero and broke off the attack. The Germans had held the line and the British attempt at a breakthrough had failed.

Overall, a superb defence by the Germans, but a disappointing attack by a potentially dangerous British force.

Trader Dave